SVR4: smtpqer, and remote printer configuation problems... HELP!!

Ronald Cole rjc at devo.unify.com
Wed Apr 3 16:00:26 AEST 1991

I am having problems configuring my Sony NWS-3860, running System V
Release 4.0, to send mail over our local ethernet and printing to a
remote printer.  (I can NFS mount remote file systems, and rlogin all
over the place, but this new SVR4 way of doing things is thinning my
hair!)  My Sony "technical" contact has been no help ("Duh, it should
work there; works fine here").

Anyway, the _System Administrator's Guide_ has a section (relegated to
the appendix, no less!) "Administering SMTP" on page F-8.  Step 1
tells me how to successfully edit /etc/mail/mailsurr (I also set
SMARTERHOST=unify in /etc/mail/mailcnfg).  Sending local mail works
fine, but remote mail bounces like this:

>>> HELO unify.com
<<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local
554 <unify!mcm>... Service unavailable: Bad file number

Step 2 at the bottom of the page says that I must specify a list of
machines that will accept SMTP mail (I just want to add the one I
specified in the mailcnfg file) by using the netdird(1M) service(!).
Well, this man page doesn't exist.  In the same manual, on page 7-12,
the section _Setting Up the Name-to-Address Mapping Libraries_
describes what is probably the missing piece... however, the example
is completely meaningless and useless to me.  Attempting to set up a
remote printer has led me to the same section in the manual (jobs
queue up but don't seem to make it off the machine)...

So much for RTFM!  Can some kind soul help me out here?

Ronald Cole           +----------------------+  internet: rjc at unify.com
Software Engineer II  | This space for rent. |  uucp:     uunet!unify!rjc
Unify Corporation     +----------------------+  voice:    +1 916 928 6238
 "Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!" - Homer Simpson