network backup in a heterogeneous environment

Kenneth J. Heeres kjh at visual1.jhuapl.edu
Thu Apr 25 00:03:54 AEST 1991

I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.

I do have:
  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.

  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
  This system does not support rdump.

I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
station for the dump.  Is this true????

Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.

ken