network backup in a heterogeneous environment

Scott Bennett bennett at mp.cs.niu.edu
Thu Apr 25 09:52:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607 at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh at visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
>a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
>any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
>of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.
>
>I do have:
>  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
>  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.
>
>  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
>  This system does not support rdump.
>
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????

     dump(8) can do a dump to a specified file, which is also how
you dump to a tape device other than the default tape.  Does your
MVS system have the NFS server support running?  If so, how about
dumping to a file on that server via NFS?  That way you wouldn't
need rdump(8).  If your MVS system doesn't have enough disk space
to hold a complete backup cycle, you could then offload each dump
file to tape from MVS once it had been created via NFS from your
DECstation.

>Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.
>
>ken
>
>--
>Kenneth J. Heeres                             The Johns Hopkins University
>INTERNET: kjh at visual1.jhuapl.edu              Applied Physics Laboratory
>                                              Johns Hopkins Road
>                                              Laurel, MD 20723-6099

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1 at NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *