network backup in a heterogeneous environment

Jan Edler edler at jan.ultra.nyu.edu
Tue Apr 30 04:40:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607 at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh at visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????

At least with the 4.3bsd ftp program, you don't need to have room for
your dumps on the workstation.  Essentially all you have to do is

	ftp bighost
	user xxx yyy
	cd zzz
	account www
	binary
	put "|dump 4uf - /filesys" remote-filename
	quit

Where xxx is the user name on the remote host, yyy is the password,
and zzz is directory and account information, if needed.

To do a restore, you basically just reverse the procedure, e.g.,

	get remote-filename "|restore ivf -"

Of course you can do all this in a shell script run in the middle of
the night, and you can be arbitrarily fancy.  E.g., ours figures out
what level dumps to take, and removes old dumps.

Jan Edler
NYU Ultracomputer Research Laboratory
edler at nyu.edu