network backup in a heterogeneous environment

Vince Skahan vince at bcsaic.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 01:58:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr24.140354.25607 at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> kjh at visual1.jhuapl.edu (Kenneth J. Heeres) writes:
>I have a DECstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and I do not have
>a decent way of backing up the system.  I do not currently have
>any tape device attached to the system and I do not have control
>of another UNIX system that has a large capacity tape drive.
>
>I do have:
>  A large MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP with tape drives up
>  the yazzoo.  This system does not support rdump.
>
>  A VMS system running VMS Ultrix Connection with Exabyte drives.
>  This system does not support rdump.
>
>I have looked at ftp's the dump up to these systems but it looks
>as though all alternatives require that I have room on the work-
>station for the dump.  Is this true????
>
>Does anybody have any cost-effective alternatives or suggestions.

sure...we (have to) do it this way for many of the same reasons...

1. nfs-mount either the (shudder...) IBM or the (slight shudder) Vax.
2. dump to a file on the remote system with the tape drives via NFS.
3. have the remote system do the backups for you.

I've successfully gotten up to 125 MB dump files across to a Vax 6410
running UCX 1.2, but the vax was starting to choke at that size.

In a previous job, management was planning to ram the IBM solution down
our throats but we fought 'em off and got 5 8mm devices fro the 100
apollos.

Here, they keep cutting the 8mm's out of the budget (sigh...).
--
                         Vince Skahan
 vince at atc.boeing.com                  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince

 This is your brain on Phillies baseball. Get the picture?