Ware Ware Wizardjin ...

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Wed Apr 10 12:25:30 AEST 1991

In an article, ico.isc.com!rcd (Dick Dunn) writes:
|For me, the moaning about wasted computer time comes down to the fact that
|machines are easily an order of magnitude faster, larger (memory), and
|cheaper than a decade ago--however that multiplies out to some total
|magical increase--yet we've barely carried a factor of two improvement out
|through all the layers of software crap to the end user.  The point is NOT
|that we (programmers) are coveting the increased capacity; it's that we're
|not delivering it where it belongs--to the end user.  For example, a window
|manager that uses 10% of your memory and 5-10% of your CPU to give you bas-
|relief window borders and cute icons is robbing you--the user--blind.

I belive this to be 100% correct, and I think that Dick deserves a public
pat on the back (consider yourself "patted" :-)

All of the cutesy three dimensional shaded windows that explode in 32 colors
as they open are a complete waste of time and money.  Users are concerned
about *getting the job done* and nothing that I have seen in recent years
has really advanced this point.  In other, less eloquent words: "If your pour
chocolate on a turd, that don't make it no candy bar."
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike