readline bashing (was POSIX bashing)

vandys at sequent.com vandys at sequent.com
Thu Apr 18 06:25:29 AEST 1991

steve at endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Steve Rezsutek) writes:

>... but I certainly get a *lot* more done using Unix, than
>I ever did/will with MS-DOS (unless getting frustrated and having to reboot
>constitute "getting things done").

	This cuts both ways.  I wrote a bulletin board to run on
UNIX for amateur radio packet, and took the system to a user's group
and demonstrated it.  An MS-DOS programmer came up and asked me ("and
be honest!") how many times I crashed the system during development.
My answer of "several core dumps, no crashes" left him staring at me
blankly.

	On the other hand, one doesn't realize how sickly adb, dbx, and
even gdb are until you've used magic CodeView on a 50 Mhz i486.  That thing
is SLICK, and runs like greased lightning.  Reboots real fast, too :->.

					Just my opinions,
					Andy Valencia
					vandys at sequent.com