Free X based C debugger (was readline bashing)

M.T.Russell mtr at ukc.ac.uk
Fri Apr 26 07:04:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.202529.29738 at sequent.com> vandys at sequent.com writes:
>	On the other hand, one doesn't realize how sickly adb, dbx, and
>even gdb are until you've used magic CodeView on a 50 Mhz i486.

I haven't used CodeView, but if what you're missing in dbx et al is
mouse based stuff like clicking on a variable name and seeing it's
current value, you might like to try ups.  Ups is a source level C
debugger that runs under X11 on Suns (3, 386i and SPARC) and DECstations
and VAXstations running Ultrix (on the Suns it also runs under SunView).
I made ups available last week - I've had mail from about twenty people
so far who've built it and like it a lot.

You can get ups by anonymous FTP from export.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.238).
The distribution is in a compressed tar file: contrib/ups-2.28.tar.Z.
There's a copy of the top level README file in contrib/ups-2.28.README.

Mark