POSIX bashing (actually cooked vs raw or cbreak mode)

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Apr 16 12:05:33 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Apr11.140508.9012 at athena.mit.edu> by jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens):
+---------------
|   Now, I've never programmed with streams, but I was under the impression that
| it's possible to use them to do something like this.  Can't the user write a
| streams driver that does his line-editing, etc. for him, and set the tty to
| use that driver by default, so that applications that don't muck with the line
| discipline will automatically have whatever interface the user installs?  In
| my opinion, this is the right direction to go.  And, as I said in my previous
| message, Multics was doing it long ago.
+---------------

der Mouse and I had this discussion two years ago.  I'm still waiting to get
my hands on a Unix with a Streams tty driver so I can show him some code...
but SunOS and SVR4 have the capability already.

It should be possible to come up with something that has a compatible program
interface (whether "compatible" means termio, termios, or sgtty) yet has a
user interface which provides line editing, history, etc.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)