POSIX bashing (actually cooked vs raw or cbreak mode)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Tue Apr 16 12:06:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr11.140508.9012 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  Now, I've never programmed with streams, but I was under the impression that
>it's possible to use them to do something like this.  Can't the user write a
>streams driver that does his line-editing, etc. for him, and set the tty to
>use that driver by default, so that applications that don't muck with the line
>discipline will automatically have whatever interface the user installs?

As I understand it (not programming Streams either), the only streams
modules that you can get the kernel to insert are ones that have been
built into the kernel, i.e. not user-mode code.  That seems to me to
be a major deficiency in the current streams design, although it is
clear why the restriction exists.

>In my opinion, this is the right direction to go.

I would agree, more or less.  Streams certainly open up possibilities.