X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Apr 16 12:05:01 AEST 1991

>	I won't even discuss OpenWindows from Sun sans to say it is slow
>and uncustomizable

What can you customize in X that you can't customize in Open Windows?

(I won't argue the "slow" part; I've found that, if I've been doing
anything other than running rlogged-in terminal emulators on my machine
- you know, stuff such as *compiles* - OW's even more sluggish at
raising and lowering windows, switching focus, and the like than MIT X
is - and that's using the *same* window manager, "twm", in both cases.

I wonder how much of that can be blamed on the window manager?  It's
certainly customizable.  Hoo boy, is it customizable.  I could probably
live with a *less*-customizable window manager if it had a smaller
working set....)