X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA allbery at NCoast.ORG
Wed Apr 17 11:54:14 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Apr14.143159.3560 at alembic.acs.com> by csu at alembic.acs.com (Dave Mack):
+---------------
| Not quite. Remember a very nice package that was posted to c.s.u
| a few years back called MGR? Steve Uhler at Bell Labs claimed that
| an updated version of that was going to come out eventually, but I've
| seen no sign of it. Pity.
|
| [Thinking back, though, I guess MGR only ran on Suns, so maybe that
| doesn't qualify as hardware independence.]
+---------------

The README mentioned a number of versions.  Check mgr.bellcore.com for the
official archive.  And I'm tracing down the last bugs/buglets in a re-port
to SCO Xenix and SCO Unix --- the official port exists but has problems (like
a nasty race condition in a certain piece of code that causes it to dump core
just at the time you need its capabilities most...).  I have hopes that that
port will move to other 386 Unixes fairly easily, although with SCO one can
never count on portability.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)