System V, B0, and DTR.

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Apr 25 07:33:44 AEST 1991

In article <D_XA6J2 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>It seems that the SVID
>does not define what happens when you set speed to B0 (to drop DTR) and
>then back to another baud rate (B2400, say).

>iNTeL says that even though it's a 2-line fix they
>can't do it because it's not in the SVID... even to do a workaround for
>us. The iNTeL technical people are quite helpful, and seem as frustrated
>as us.

If it's not defined, how does that prevent them from doing it right???
I'm pretty sure AT&T's 3b2/386 releases will bring DTR back up.

>Any suggestions? (no, closing and opening the port doesn't appear to be
>an option in this case) What do you people think the Right Thing to do is?

I don't quite understand that attitude either - if you've got the source
and a close/open makes it work why is there any question about doing it?
How about open/close on another fd following the ioctl restoring the
speed to non-zero while your current fd remains open?  I would expect
that to fix things without the change of close/open returning a different fd.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us