Kernel console messages and log(7).

David Dave Kraus kraus at tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Sat Apr 27 01:52:58 AEST 1991

The system V.4 UNIX log(7) driver provides the capability to send messages
down a trace, error, or console log stream. I am particularly interested
in the console log stream. What is the general policy being followed
concerning kernel messages?

Kernel messages go to the console. So it would seem prudent to send them
through the console log stream. A console logging daemon would then intercept
and route the message to the console, or to a logging file. Berkeley's
Syslogd is one example of a console logging daemon.

There is a problem with kernel PANIC messages. In this case the message
would probably go directly to the console driver, bypassing the console log
stream.

Another approach I've seen is to send kernel messages down the error log
stream, and separately  direct to the console driver. This approach skirts the
PANIC message case, but loses the ability to intercept, process, filter,
and route kernel messages before they reach the console.

I am particularly interested in finding out what approaches are being used
in V.4 Intel 386 systems ( cmn_err.c  code), although I would be interested
in other system implementations as well.

Any input on this question is welcome, private email or in this newsgroup.

Dave Kraus

====  David R. Kraus ============ | "Some terribly insightful