network backup in a heterogeneous environment

Scott Bennett bennett at mp.cs.niu.edu
Sat Apr 27 08:16:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr26.134612.10406 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>duncan at comp.vuw.ac.nz (Duncan McEwan) writes:
>
>>All that is needed to support rdump is a way of running "/etc/rmt" via
>>the rcmd(3) library call (ie via rsh(1).
>
>	It's actually easier than that. Since /etc/rmt expects to be
>reading and writing to its standard output, you can just put it (on a
>UNIX box, anyhow) where inetd will launch it. On other machines, you
>might need to put a few little hacks into it to make it bind a known
>port.
>
>   [remainder deleted  --SJB]

     It's actually easier than that.  The originator of this thread
said that his network had on it an MVS system running IBM's TCP/IP.
IBM's TCP/IP also has software to run an NFS server on the MVS system,
so rdump and rmt are not needed for this job.  dump(8) can dump to a
file specified as a command line option and restore(8) can restore from
a file in the same way.  All that appears necessary is 1) the MVS system
must have an NFS server running that exports a dump data set to the UNIX
system and 2) a dump command that dumps to the data set exported from
the MVS system.  To restore, just specify the same dump data set in the
restore command.
     It is reasonable to assume that the MVS system is frequently backed
up to tape.  If the UNIX dump data set(s) take(s) up too much space on
the MVS system to leave it/them there, it/they can be unloaded to tape
and then deleted from the MVS system's disk(s).

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1 at NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *