valid, but not what we were after...

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Wed Apr 17 06:34:49 AEST 1991

pha21 at seq1.keele.ac.uk (Braham Levy) writes:
> i get real fed up of all this X/ Sunview/ NeWS
> (and other) bashing that goes on (especially in wizards) can we put a
> stop to this for a while.

Sorry it went that direction.  The starting point was more nearly "what can
we do about code bloat."  X and (even more) the stuff built on top of it
just happens to be a prime example of bloated code--but it's certainly NOT
the only example.  Kernel bloat is another problem, perhaps more serious.

> 	nothing's perfect but most thigs are usable. if you can do your
> job with the toolset you have don't complain...

That attitude may make it in a different forum; I hope it doesn't make it
here.  I'd think the people participating here include a lot of those who
build the tools as well as use them.  I hope the attitude here hasn't
become "anything that can be made to do the job is OK" because that's going
to keep us moving down the same wrong path until everything becomes
unusable.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.