X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Apr 14 07:59:31 AEST 1991

>	This is the issue. Window systems already hog to much power.
>
>	"Machines are getting more powerful every day anyway" - and
>spending that power interpreting PostScript (best done by dedicated
>hardware rather than my expensive RISC workstation) instead of crunching
>the numbers I want crunched is not good.
>
>mjr.

Of course, and thereby we head onto what Sutherland described as the
graphics "Wheel of Reincarnation".

The next fad, no doubt, will be something X-terminal-like to use with
your headless workstation so the workstation can do its work and the
"monitor" can run most of the window system. Intelligent monitors.

Then someone will add a little more processing power to this "smart
monitor", a little more memory expansion, a SCSI port...and gee, we
can dispense with the workstation! Until we want to offload the
graphical interface from the "smart monitor"...

I think Unix is already well into this cycle (think of sitting a
Sun/SLC or X-terminal on top of your workstation and removing the
monitor.)

I assume it's just a matter of time before "smart monitors" running
most of Windows show up for PC's.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs