X sucks (was: Re: Ware Ware Wizardjin)

Larry McVoy lm at slovax.Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Apr 14 16:44:21 AEST 1991

In article <9104131319.AA01023 at .nextserver.cs.stthomas.edu.cs.stthomas.edu..> root at NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU (Max Tardiveau) writes:
>The problem with the imaging model of X is, in my opinion, the biggest
>flaw.
>
>system, we're going to be stuck with X for years, until either it is
>so vastly enhanced that it is not X as we know (and hate) it, or until
>people get sick of it and move to a real system.

I think that people will tend to agree with you over time.  Very few
understand what it is you are saying - they see xterms and network
windows and think X is great.  When they see that they can work on a
fast machine and display on their workstation, they are very happy.
Especially when the server is a Cray and the workstation is a Sun or
MIPS.

The problem is that "technically right" != "business right".  People
are far less likely to write apps for NeWS or NextStep because X is the
dominant player in the WS market (if Motif vs Openlook wars continue,
that might kill X, though.  Interesting thought even if unlikely.)

I suspect that we are stuck with X.  X will evolve.  In 5 years, there
will be this thing called X, big and ugly, that does X type imaging and
has Postscript imaging glommed in as well.  Sigh.  Like Ritchie said:
sometimes, when you fill a void it still sucks.
---
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com