UNIX v7 calling sched()

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 13 07:50:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr12.205055.25220 at ghost.unimi.it> marco at ghost.unimi.it (Marco Negri) writes:
>miler at osl.csc.ncsu.edu (George Miler) writes:
>>     I am working on a project at NC State University involving porting
>>UNIX Version 7 to a 68000 based machine.
>
>Really that old old versione of unix I used 10 (!) years ago?
>Or are you using another newer powered up version of Version 7?
>I would like to know WHY you are using V7, what are the benefits for that?

Gee...maybe 'cause it's small, simple and undemanding on resources.
It's not like he's gonna get SVR4 running on a 68000 (note: not '030).
Actually...v7 is a *really* nice little system, especially compared
with it's contemporaries.

And remember: Unix was design to be simple and elegant.  V7 is a lot
closer to that tradition that what is generally run these days.
After a long day of walking around in the System V.3.2 or BSD 4.3
sources it's sometime nice to break out your copy of Lions and
realise that there was a time when one man could understand it all
and do a port in something less than a lifetime.

Sometimes when I look at my nearly 2MB Ultrix kernel, I long for the
day when a man (a Real Man (tm), mind you...:-)) could run with a
couple of his pals pretty comfortably on a PDP-11/45 with 256K memory
and a pair of 20MB disk.  Not that I *really* wanna go back...it's
just that the nostalgia gets you...

	 ken seefried iii	ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,
		   honey, love the one you're with..."