The switch to daylight savings time

Daniel J. Dasaro djd at eos.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 12 10:11:21 AEST 1991

I'd like to jump into this discussion because we're having trouble with our
4.3 BSD systems (which are running the ntp daemon also!).  I noticed that in
/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/ctime.c the rules for DST are defined.  Ours was the
old style (end of April) method.  I modified the number 119 to 98 (day of
the year to switch) and ran make in that directory, which created a new
genlib.  I recompiled the kernel and tried the new one but it still reads
PST not PDT, even after I ran date to set the date.  What I really need to
know is where the trigger is to get the machine to make that switch to DST.
I believe that if my new ctime is called, it will return PDT as the current
timezone (according to the rules) but I'm not sure 'date' really does this.
Will I have to run my new kernel overnight so cron can run and "do the
change?"

-Dan Dasaro (djd at eos.arc.nasa.gov)