Can anyone comment on IBM Xenix v2.0?

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Wed Apr 24 15:19:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr20.003949.585 at news.cs.brandeis.edu> sinclair at chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chester Sinclair) writes:

>Hello.  I am looking for a UNIX (tm) environment for my 80386-based
>PC.  I am considering buying IBM Xenix version 2.0 (because I can get
>a good price on it!), and am looking for any users' input on this
>Xenix.

>Some questions:

>Any general comments/observations/criticisms will be a *great* help!

I had to use this at a site about 4 or 5 years ago.

Many things were broken in it.

I specifically remember that in the ioctl area you could not 'and'
values with existing values, you had to set them explicity.

Also the creat call wouldn't use it's arguments properly.

Code that worked on other systems would break on this one.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you want a lot of frustration.

On the other hand, their manuals were some of the nicest I have
seen.
 :-) / 2

 bill

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP