telnet login problem

Dag Nygren dag at atomica.fi
Tue Dec 4 21:36:31 AEST 1990

cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com (cliff bedore) writes:

>In article <111 at embassy.nsi.com> lance at embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>>I am running streams and tcp/ip with Xenix 2.3.2 (official release of
>>tcp/ip).  The problem is that after making a connection from my
>>macintosh via telnet then connection usually drops (19 out of 20 times).
>> Most of the drops are accompanied by the message "Foreign reset".
>>
>>So, 1) has anyone else had a similar problem connection to Xenix via
>>telnet?  2) Is anyone familiar with whatever codes are being transmitted
>>on login via the dialup lines?
>>
>I have seen this with the PCIP project telnet programs. (haven't found a
>solution.)  A microvax has no trouble nor does an Annex terminal server nor
>does FTP software's code (I have the early release which I understand was at
>least partially based on that).  However the PCIP project software does work
>with these other systems so it appears that the XENIX TCP/IP is touchy about
>something.  I haven't had the time to sit down and understand enough about it
>to find a solution.  Any thoughts would be appreciated

	We had exactly the same problem here and didn't get any answers
	from SCO. The solution for us was to take the BSD internet sources
	and port them to our system (Not that much work...). When replacing the
	telnetd from SCO with the one from the BSD-package everthing worked
	just fine.
	 When beeing able to turn debugging on I did notice that the SCO
	problem seems to have something to do with the telnetd trying to
	figure out if the connecting process was running on a 4.2 or a 4.3
	machine.

	BTW. The package from FTP didn't show this behaviour, but the NCSA
	and the SUN/NFS packages did.

	So..... Get your own sources, they should be quite easily available.

Dag Nygren					email: dag at atomica.fi
Oy Atomica Ab				or     santra!atomica!dag
Box 22 (Ahventie 4A)
02170 Esbo