Using a SCSI tape drive

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Fri Dec 14 02:55:28 AEST 1990

In article <77535 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Haydn Huntley) writes:

| I hacked my /usr/lib/mkdev/tape file to put in option #4 to add a SCSI
| drive, but it still didn't work!  So today I called SCO Tech Support,
| and they told me that I had bought an old version, and that my version
| didn't have the SCSI drivers!  No wonder it didn't work!  However the
| manuals I have, in several places say that the SCSI drivers should be
| in there.  SCO said that they'd let me upgrade to the latest version
| for $320, and since we don't seem to have any other options, we gave
| them our credit card.  The personnel at SCO were very nice and
| helpful, and isolated the problem within 15 minutes!  This is in
| contrast to our mail order dealer, Software Add-Ons, who wouldn't even
| admit that they'd sold us a product that was 8 months old!  Both of
| the expensive software packages we bought from them were old versions,
| and in both cases they were quite unhelpful.  I am writing this to
| warn others from purchasing from them!  Their prices are pretty good,
| but their service is terribly, and in our case they sold us old junk
| which has been expensive to upgrade!  I wish I'd purchased from a more
| honest dealer!

  You have misunderstood the dealer, SCO, and two other posters. Try to
understand, there are two versions Xenix, one which has SCSI, one which
doesn't. They are not "old and new" they are two products, with two
names, and two prices.

  If you clearly stated to the dealer that you wanted the GT (SCSI)
version and he sold you the other, then show him the P.O. saying SCSI or
GT and tell him to replace it at his cost. If you failed to understand
what you needed (and your posting suggests you still don't realize that
there are two products), or failed to tell the dealer what you needed,
then the fault is yours, and all the dealer did was sell you the product
at a good price, by your own admission.

  The newest, freshest, best, and most costly release of standard Xenix
will not support SCSI, you need the GT version.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX