Problem setting up UUCP

Hi Ho Silver silver at xrtll.uucp
Wed Dec 26 04:46:45 AEST 1990

   I've been trying to set up a UUCP connection with only partial success.
Originally, it was giving me "garbage or bad modem cable" as soon as the
internal modem started to dial; using an external modem solved this.

   Now I'm at the point where I can send files from my machine to another,
but I can't receive files.  The sysadmin at the other end found a permission
problem, but that didn't fix the problem.  After my machine has finished
sending its stuff, the other machine starts to send me whatever's waiting;
that's normal enough.  But sooner or later (usually sooner), my machine
will fail to send an acknowledgement.  The other end will try every few
seconds; nothing will happen.  Only once has an entire file managed to
make it to my machine; often, it dies on the very first incoming packet.

   I've set the permissions of everything in /usr/spool/uucp to rwxrwxrwx,
owned by uucp; I've run uucheck -v and it doesn't complain.  Any ideas
from those of you who've successfully set up UUCP?

   Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?  Not a big
deal; I can live with it if I have to, but I'd rather plow through my
mailbox and then send the whole lot at once.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always