Problem setting up UUCP

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 08:03:51 AEST 1990

silver at xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

> But sooner or later (usually sooner), my machine
> will fail to send an acknowledgement.  The other end will try every few
> seconds; nothing will happen.

This may be character overrun on the serial port.  If you're using the
standard COM[12] serial ports at high speed (19200 or over, or even 9600
if you're running TCP/IP) this may happen.  Try and see if a lower
baud rate happens.  If it's a slow modem connection, the other possible
problem could be that your modem is configured to use xon-xoff flow
control, switch that off, if that's the case.

>    Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
> do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?

1) install smail 2.5, where that can be fixed in the configuration
2) if you *insist* on using SCO's mailer, the only other cure is
to make /usr/lib/uucp/uucico not executable by "normal" users, and make
sure that uucp's crontab calls some polling script regularly.

--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)