Xenix, VP/ix, and VGA

Peter Galbavy peter at micromuse.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 20:48:51 AEST 1990

In article <N025FC.90Dec7182721 at tamuts.tamu.edu> n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.213141.14357 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> jhl at frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
>
>   WHen VP/ix starts up, it makes application think I am a regular
>   monochrome monitor. If I run a graphics application and force it to be
>   in VGA mode, color graphics display in grayscale.
>

>I had the very same problem earlier this year.  I'm afraid I can't
>give you a technical explanation of what's wrong, since I don't have
>one.  I fixed my problem by returning the Oak VGA card to my vendor
>and purchasing a Paradise VGA card as a replacement.  Replacing your
>video card is about all I can recommend, but it worked for me!

Another thing to try (is doesn't always work) is to comment out the
line 'VGAROM ...' in the vpix.cnf file, and then on some VGA cards
(Orchids at least), you get the pretty scrolling start up, and the
things seems to initialise the VGA card fine. This works OK with an
Adaptec 1542B SCSI, but if you use a Future Domain 885, it trys to
look for SCSI disks :-(, but gives up after about 2 minutes, and then
is OK after reporting NO SCSI DEVICES FOUND :-?

Has anyone else had experience of doing this - and can you fix the FD
TMC885 problem (not a normal conflict - I have checked all the
usual)...

Good luck - but be careful (I cannot be responsible for any
screw-ups),
--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd
Phone: +44 71 352 7774		E-Mail: P.Galbavy at micromuse.co.uk

Disclaimer: Time flies like an arrow... Fruit flies like a banana