XENIX QIC Tape Questions

Hi Ho Silver silver at xrtll.uucp
Thu Dec 27 02:46:14 AEST 1990

In article <865 at anomaly.sbs.com> mpd at anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
$Now:
$	1. What is the difference between RCT0 and RCT2?
$	2. "ERCT0" is a device for a tape system w/ error correction, correct?
$	3. What are "NRCT#" and why use one of them over the RCT#
$	   counterpart?

   RTFM.  If you have the same manuals as I do (May 16, 1988), look at
TAPE (HW); you'll find out that devices ending in ct0 are QIC24 unit 0,
and those ending in ct2 are QIC11 unit 0.  You'll find out for sure that
"Devices beginning with the "e" prefix (for ECC device) support a 2/64 error
recovery scheme.  Thus two 512-byte blocks out of every 64 blocks can be bad
and the driver will correct the errors."  You'll find out that "Devices
beginning with the "r" prefix, [sic] (for "raw device"), should be used for
most normal tape work, while devices with the "n" prefix, [sic] ("for [sic]
no rewind on hold"), should be used for storing and restoring multiple
files."
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always