help with uucp needed

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at jpradley.jpr.com
Mon Dec 31 04:13:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec30.085551.21619 at xenitec.on.ca> edhew at xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) writes:
>In article <892 at anomaly.sbs.com> mpd at anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>>>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?
>>
>>You don't. Even assuming we allowed rayssd to UUCP files from us, each
>>site in your path would also have to allow the calling site to UUCP to/from
>>them.
>>
>>Sorry to break it to you, but either give up, or break down and call long
>>distance.
>
>We could argue whether the uucp man page is broken as we did in
>sco.list a few months back, or I could suggest that "uuencode"
>is the common tool used to allow one to email non-ascii files
>along a multiple hop path.

That's fine if I have files and want to send them to you across three hops.
I don't thank that you, however, can cause those file to be sent by issuing a
command on your machine. You have to ask me to cause the files to be mailed.

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr at jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341