help with uucp needed

Paul Colley pacolley at violet.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Dec 29 06:08:03 AEST 1990

In article <88 at gdx.UUCP> jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:

>$ uucp wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z ~uucp
>
>yeilds:
>
>illegal  syntax wa3wbu!eds1!psuvax1!rutgers!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!/usr/spool/uucppublic/archives/egrep.tar.Z
>
>How do I get this file via uucp w/o a direct connection to anomaly?

Indirect UUCP doesn't work for me either.  So far, the only reply has
been along the lines of "tough, call direct".

Which doesn't answer the question!  The manual claims it's fine, but
any attempt to have a!b!file as source gives "illegal syntax".  Assuming
I have permissions from the machines in the path, what's the problem?

Better yet, what's the fix?

Reason for doing this:  I have accounts on two machines, which are
connected through a third machine.  I'd like to request files from the
machine I'm working on, instead of having to login to the remote
machine and send the files (not always easy to do).  A direct UUCP
connection isn't possible between the two machines I'm interested in.

Any constructive advice appreciated.

- Paul Colley
  pacolley at violet.waterloo.edu or .ca
  "Quantum Mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of"    - Ken Burnside