Why SYSVR3 UNIX? (Was: Re: Xenix *is* Unix)

Chain Lee chain at paul.rutgers.edu
Thu Dec 20 09:56:28 AEST 1990

I have got GCC, XLISP, SB-Prolog, BASIC, gnuplot, TeX/LaTeX, MGR Window
System, complete X11R4 of resolution up to 1024x768 server and numerous
clients and games, and GIF viewers, Ghostscript(2.0), DVI viewer (xdvi),
a cross development system for Minix, SC spread sheet ..., all running
for XENIX. I ported every single one of these programs except GCC.
I wonder what else people might want from SYSR3 UNIX? You definitely want
symbolic link, unlimited file name size, socket, and RPC from SYSVR4,
but not just something like PCC which generates less efficient code!

Chain Lee
chain at paul.rutgers.edu