Trouble with Line Printer Spooler under XENIX

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Tue Dec 18 04:25:54 AEST 1990

In article <27952 at mimsy.umd.edu> meyer at mimsy.umd.edu (John R. Meyer) writes:
}Hello --
}
}	I am having problems with a newly-installed XENIX-386 2.3.2
}system.  The line printer spooler system is not working properly.
}I used "mkdev lp" to assign a default printer named "printer" to
}device /dev/lp0 and used lpr to spool a file.  The file got spooled
}and lpstat shows it, but the file does not get printed.  I know it's
}not the hardware because I can send the file directly to the /dev/lp0
}device.
}
}	Anyone have any suggestions?  What else should I be looking
}for?
}
}					Thanks,
}
}						John
}--
}John R. Meyer				Domain: meyer at mimsy.umd.edu
}10208-C Ashbrooke Ct.			Path:   uunet.uu.net!mimsy!meyer
}Oakton, VA 22124 USA			Phone:  (703) 802-1872 (O)
}Disclaimer:  The views expressed are my own.	(703) 281-5157 (H)

Here are some suggestions on your problem from the SCO IT database.
I hope these help.

################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

Jobs spool up but they don't print out under SCO XENIX Release 2.3

RELEASE:  SCO XENIX 386 Operating System Release 2.3

PROBLEM:  I'm having problems keeping the spooler running under SCO XENIX
          386 Operating System Release 2.3.  What can I do to correct this?

SYMPTOMS: (1) When printing to the default printer, jobs spool up but never
	  print out.  If you change the default printer to something else,
	  all jobs for the old default printer start printing.

	  (2) Jobs to all printers spool up and never print out.  'lpstat -t'
	  shows that the printers are enabled and accepting requests, and
	  that the scheduler is running, but nothing prints out.

SOLUTION: Here are some solutions for spooler problems in SCO XENIX 386
	  Operating System Release 2.3.  You will need to log in as root
	  to implement any of these fixes.

  (1) When the scheduler hangs, perform a directory listing of the
  /usr/spool/lpd directory.  If there are files in the directory, remove all
  of them.  Removing these lock files should cause the scheduler to start up
  again.

  (2) Change directories to /usr/spool/lp/interface.  Each printer that you
  have configured will have a corresponding file with the same name in this
  directory.  Edit each file with your favorite text editor.  Find the line
  that reads:

      exit 0

  Typically, this is the last line in the file.  Insert a new line
  immediately above this one, so that the file now reads:

      stty -hupcl 0<&1
      exit 0

  Reboot your system.  Your queued jobs should start printing out at this
  time.

  (3) Use lpinit or mkdev lp to create a printer with the name 'bogus'.  Set
  up the printer so that the device associated with the printer is
  "/dev/tty012", and that the printer uses the "dumb" interface.  Then use
  the 'Reconfigure' option of 'mkdev lp' to associate the printer 'bogus'
  with the device "/dev/null".

  Next, edit the file /etc/profile and add the following lines:

      LPDEST=printername
      export LPDEST

  where 'printername' is the name of the printer to be used as the actual
  default printer.

  Next, add the following line in /etc/cshrc:

      setenv LPDEST printername

  where 'printername' is the name of the printer to be used as the actual
  default printer.

  Finally, set up the printer 'bogus' as the system default printer.  Your
  queued jobs should start printing out at this time.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
We only know in theory what we are doing.   - Kate Bush
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.