WY995 - help required.

Thomas Strandenaes thostr at stud.cs.uit.no
Thu Dec 6 04:02:07 AEST 1990

I've got a somewhat strange problem lurking
in my hardware. Recently I obtained a Wyse 995
8-port serial adapter. It came complete with
drivers for SCO Xenix 2.2.1 and higher. I've got
SCO Xenix 2.2.1. I'm using a 386/33/cache with
AMI BIOS (30/08/90) and OPTI chipset, equipped
with 6 Mb of RAM, a hercules mono-card, a 170 Mb IMPRIMIS IDE
drive (fast & efficcent - never had no problems with
it), a 2-port serial card adapter, and not to forget -
the WY995 8-port adapter.

As prescribed, I've *customized* Xenix (including
install, relink and reboot), with the driver residing
from F60000H in the memory map. Xenix recognizes the board
and tells me "Found WY995 on address 000000F6". After enabling
the ports named tty5a-tty5h, I connected a terminal expecting a login prompt,
but instead of a login prompt, I received junk-characters. And I still do.
It looks approx. like this: "wuu}}}oo" et cetera. It looks
like a baud/parity problem, but isn't.

Included in the WY995 package came a diagnostic utility
for MS-DOS - it tests the board internally and it's
ports by having the ports interconnected. The diagnostic
completes without errors. Alas, it looks like a Xenix config
problem.

Anyone with similar experience or good suggestions
are welcome to help me out. If the soloution isn't
totally obvious and I get so solve it, I'll post a
summary in here.

Yours,

thostr at stud.cs.uit.no
--