WY995 - help required.

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Thu Dec 6 14:52:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec5.170207.21221 at hod.uit.no>
	thostr at stud.cs.uit.no (Thomas Strandenaes) writes:
>I connected a terminal expecting a login prompt, but instead of a login
>prompt, I received junk-characters. And I still do.  It looks approx.
>like this: "wuu}}}oo" et cetera. It looks like a baud/parity problem,
>but isn't.  [...]  Included in the WY995 package came a diagnostic utility
>for MS-DOS - it tests the board internally and it's ports by having the ports
>interconnected.

Throw away your fancy, schmancy diagnostics.  For troubleshooting serial
connections, my favorite piece of test gear is a paper clip.  (Well, these
days I actually use a snazzy $120 Beckman breakout box - but I know in
my heart it's just a paper clip with lights.)

Disconnect the serial cable from the back of the terminal, and use your
paper clip to short together pins 2 and 3.  Walk back to the computer and
kick off a "cu" on that serial line.  If what you type is echo'ed back,
then it's a setup problem (check ttys, gettydefs, etc.)  If you don't get
echo, then it's a problem with the board or its installation.

Normally, I'd say if it passes at the terminal, try again at the back of
the computer to verify the cabling.  However, if I remember right the
WY995 uses RJ11 connectors, and it's hard to attach a paper clip to those.

By the way, I'm assuming that "wuu}}oo" isn't the normal login prompt
for your machine. :-)

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.