Problem setting up UUCP

Pedro Victor Pintus peter at secyt.edu.ar
Sat Dec 29 07:01:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec26.210351.7583 at robobar.co.uk> ronald at robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>silver at xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>>    Oh, and one other little question:  using the standard Xenix mailer, how
>> do I stop it from dialing out every time I send a mail message?
>
>1) install smail 2.5, where that can be fixed in the configuration
>2) if you *insist* on using SCO's mailer, the only other cure is
>to make /usr/lib/uucp/uucico not executable by "normal" users, and make
>sure that uucp's crontab calls some polling script regularly.

No, it's not necessary to completely do 2) if you want to continue
using SCO's mailer.
Just put a line saying 'spoolonly' in /etc/default/mail, and voila!
You, of course, must make cron regulary poll all your dialout uucp
connections.
Hope this helps you.

Happy holydays!
|  Pedro Victor Pintus                          |
|  Secretaria de Ciencia y Tecnologia           |
|  Buenos Aires, Rep. Argentina                 |
|  Internet: peter at secyt.ar                     |
|  UUCP    : ...!uunet!banyc!atina!secyt!peter  |