File transfer between Xenix/Unix BSD systems: Question.

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Thu Dec 27 14:53:27 AEST 1990

In article <26074 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> srb at beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

| 	I need to transfer files between Xenix 386 2.3.2 and Unix
| 	BSD 4.2 systems.  Direction is from Xenix to Unix.  We
| 	do not have direct connection between these two systems.
| 	Tar and dump do not work, obviously not compatible.

  I go tar from Xenix to both SunOS and Ultrix, I'm not sure what is
obviously incompatible about it. I feel much better going with cpio with
the -c (ASCII header) option, though, since it insured backing up
certain special files and empty directories correctly.

Xenix:

  find . -depth -print | cpio -oBca > file/or/device

BSD:

  cpio -iBcdm < file/or/device
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)