Bnews 2.11 and SCO Unix

Joachim Astel jmastel at medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Dec 8 03:48:18 AEST 1990

jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
>In article <108 at avatar.avatar.com> kory at avatar.avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) writes:
>>I'm trying to build BNEWS 2.11 under SCO Unix 3.2.2 and its not going well.
>>I can't even get all of the programs to build. I tried using the Xenix
>>executables, but when I try to post news, inews complains with:
>>
>>	inews: Directory permission problem in /tmp
>>
>>This is very frustrating, I must have spent about 8 hours to far.
[...]

>The problem is NOT with Bnews.  It is with SCO security.

No. The problem is the 14 bytes filename-length restriction of SCO UNIX.
BNEWS is trying to create temp-files in /tmp which are longer than 14 bytes.
Within (at least) its latest patchlevel, BNEWS has an "#ifdef FOURTEENMAX",
which will insert a '\0' after the 14th position of each temp-filename to
solve this problem.

Simply get the latest patchlevel of BNEWS and insert the line
"#define FOURTEENMAX" in your definitions-file (defs.h).

	-Achim
Joachim Astel, E-MAIL: dowjones at jattmp.ccs.imp.com