Tar source

Matt Smith matt at medicod.UUCP
Tue Dec 4 11:55:36 AEST 1990

A while back I submitted an article asking for either the source code
to tar or a better way of implementing the following:

	rsh Miranda "tar cf - /" | dd of=/dev/exab0 ibs=1 obs=1024

The purpose of the command is to backup the machine Miranda onto an
exabyte that is connected to another machine over the ether-net.  The
above command works very slowly

I have gotten several responses of what to try.  What seems to work is
to change the ibs=1 to ibs=512 (tar blocks are 512 bytes).  I just
got a message to try setting both ibs and obs to 102400.  I will try
that later when I get a chance.

	Thanx to all who responded