GCC on xenix 2.3?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Oct 29 13:23:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct21.091009.4131 at ajfcal.uucp> tony at ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) writes:
| Is it possible to compile gnu-gcc under xenix 2.3 such that gcc can
| generate masm-compatible output?

  There is a version around which generates the object modules which run
with SCO libraries. It uses hacked gcc and hacked gas. I got it on a
"custom" format disk.

  After a close look I am only so-so impressed with it. It's useful for
compiling things which use the non-standard features of gcc, it's useful
with -traditional for compiling things which come off the net and which
the SCO compiler will not handle (rrc will, though). It does not seem to
generate code which is uniformly better than the SCO code with the
optimizer options picked with care.

  You can also debug the optimized version, although I have not found
this to be a blessing yet ;-)
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX