Summary of Request for Comparison of Altos and NCR

Mike Faber sleepy at wybbs.mi.org
Thu Oct 18 04:23:24 AEST 1990

In article <YZG6DXD at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
Comments about 80x86 and 680x0 chips here...

>We've got a 68000-based (yes, the old one) UNIX box that blows our 386
>boxes out of the water. For multiuser use the surrounding hardware is
>at least as important as the CPU.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'

Thank you.  I've been saying (to my boss mostly) that the disk speed and
quantity are the REAL deciding factors in a resonably designed system.
In my opinion, the only thing you need a CPU for in a typical DBMS computer
is to direct traffic, and make an occasional computation here and there.

--
Michael Faber
sleepy at wybbs.UUCP