Summary of Request for Comparison of Altos and NCR

Floyd Ferguson ENG floydf at iphase.UUCP
Mon Oct 22 23:28:24 AEST 1990

In article <505 at wybbs.mi.org> sleepy at wybbs.UUCP (Mike Faber) writes:

>Thank you.  I've been saying (to my boss mostly) that the disk speed and
>quantity are the REAL deciding factors in a resonably designed system.
>In my opinion, the only thing you need a CPU for in a typical DBMS computer
>is to direct traffic, and make an occasional computation here and there.

Only if the DBMS by-passes the UNIX filesystem via the raw device. If your
data is accessible via filesystem, your CPU will spend most of its time
just running the filesystem, and you will see a noticeable improvement
by adding horsepower.

--
Floyd Ferguson
uunet!iphase!floydf