Upgrade Path SCO (XENIX -> UNIX)

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Oct 25 03:08:20 AEST 1990

jaffe at hoss.unl.edu (David Jaffe) writes:

>Sure, formally there is an upgrade procedure from xenix to unix, but it's
>cost is prohibitive.  To upgrade both the operating and development systems
>costs $1100, retail.  What really pisses me off is the following quote from
>an SCO Background Paper, dated 9/88:

	I've also looked into the upgrade procedure. SCO directed me to
my local distributor who, in checking back with SCO, advised that an "upgrade"
would cost more than a new package. As an example, upgrading from my multi-
user Xenix/386 to Open Desktop (two-user) would cost $995 (no discount),
while a brand new package - which RETAILS for $995! - could be had for around
$700! The same pattern held for a straight Xenix-to-UNIX upgrade and the
Software Development System.

	This info comes from two distributors. If this procedure holds,
forget about a formal upgrade. Sell or pass on your old Xenix, and buy a
new package from one offering a good price.