Upgrade Path SCO (XENIX -> UNIX)

Todd Koeckeritz zaz at jersey
Sat Oct 27 14:40:11 AEST 1990

Are all of you folks really sure you want to do this ?  I have gone
through the pain of "upgrading" from SCO xenix to SCO unix and have
been unable to fully recover from the trauma in the three weeks I have
been fighting it.  I am not even yet fighting the problem of getting
old software running, I am just trying to keep a _very_ vannila
version of the OS up.  The bugs and problems range from unknown and
spurious panics on a machine that ran xenix for a year with few
problems to the dialing programs not working for sharing an
inbound/outbound line (even using uugetty) to the kernel corrupting
its inode table when a xenix file system runs out of inodes.

This product should not have been released yet.  The bugs mentioned
above and most of the other bugs I have come across are not acceptable
and should have been caught in any minimally complete alpha/beta
testing.  I have never run into another OS that has been delivered to
me with so many blatant problems (except maybe VAX/VMS, which anyone
running unix knows is one big bug, ;-)).

Just thought that all of you out on the net should be aware.