Which Ethernet Card To Use?

John Romkey romkey at asylum.SF.CA.US
Tue Oct 2 17:45:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep29.041629.27169 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Whoops.  I meant the Ethercard Plus or whatever is commonly advertised.
>Somebody once said it is compatible.  What are the performance specs
>there?

The Ethercard series is the wd8003 and wd8013, with various letters on
the end. There's wd8003e and wd8003ebt. I think the ebt is the one
with nonvolatile ram in it that you can program in various settings,
like the interrupt vector and i/o address, and it remembers them. I
used one once and could never get it to remember them, though. If it's
an 8 bit board, it's some variant of the WD8003, unlikely to have much
difference in performance unless they managed to decrease the number
of wait states on the memory.

If it's 16 bits, it's a wd8013. There aren't so many options there.

>I would be interested in numbers on the 8003 vs. 8013.  It's something
>like $170 for one vs $260 for the other.

If I had the time right now, I'd try to come up with some numbers for
you, but I'm too busy. Maybe someone else can do some performance
comparisons.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey at asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey at ftp.com
"Do you accept Christ as your personal saviour?" "Well, I've already got AT&T
 as my long distance carrier."