Which Ethernet Card To Use?

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Thu Oct 4 10:34:04 AEST 1990

In article <12804 at asylum.SF.CA.US> romkey at asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.041629.27169 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>Whoops.  I meant the Ethercard Plus or whatever is commonly advertised.
>>Somebody once said it is compatible.  What are the performance specs
>>there?
>
>The Ethercard series is the wd8003 and wd8013, with various letters on
>the end. There's wd8003e and wd8003ebt. I think the ebt is the one
			      ^^^^^^^^^
>with nonvolatile ram in it that you can program in various settings,
  SEE below				 ^^^^^^^
>like the interrupt vector and i/o address, and it remembers them. I
>used one once and could never get it to remember them, though. If it's
>an 8 bit board, it's some variant of the WD8003, unlikely to have much
>difference in performance unless they managed to decrease the number
>of wait states on the memory.
>
>If it's 16 bits, it's a wd8013. There aren't so many options there.

The situation is actually a little different from this.

   wd8003e	Configured with jumpers, has 8K ram for buffering
   wd8003ebt	Also configured with jumpers, has 8K or 32K buffer
		option, has ROM socket to allow support of diskless
		"workstations" (boot ofver network)
   wd8003eb	Software configured, has 8K buffer

My understanding is that the e and ebt versions have been discontinued,
being replaced by the eb version.

I am not familiar with the 16 bit cards so cannot comment on them.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com