SCO TCP/IP for XENTX Runtime System: OPINIONS/COMMENTS WANTED!

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 04:22:01 AEST 1990

s892024 at minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Admiral Richard Muirden) writes:

> SCO's TCP/IP
> I'd like to know how well [or badly] it performs
> on a 386 system. We are running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on an 80386/20.

>* What is the latest version available

The first "proper release" is the current 1.0.1, which I haven't had time
to unpack yet -- I've only used the "beta" 1.0.0 version.

>* What are its features (ie: telnet, rlogin, ftp, else?)

All that, yes.  Only thing you can't have is NFS, because the marketing
folks at SCO refuse to allow themselves to develop/sell the FileSystemSwitch
for Xenix because that would nuke 90% of the sales of SCO Unix :-)

>* Is there a better (cheaper?) product availble that will run on SCO Xenix.

Not that I know of.

> Also we are looking at getting the runtime system. Will this have all I nned?

You will need to purchase the "streams" runtime package as well.  I found this
out halfway through the installation guide to the TCP runtime :-(

> what exactly is the difference between the TCP/IP RTS and the Devsys.

The devsys provides a 4.3 BSD compatible socket library.  I used the beta
version to compile NNTP 1.5.<I can't remember which patchlevel> more or less
out of the packet, and it worked fine.  You need to purchase the devsys
*in addition* to the RTS if you want to compile any networking programs
on your own.

> I will post a summary of any/all replies.

Oops. :-)
--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)