Backup tapes - 4mm DAT

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at jts.com
Tue Oct 23 01:59:16 AEST 1990

In article <6416 at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> dt at mathcs.emory.edu (Dave Taylor {guest}) writes:
} Does anyone have much experience with the new 4mm DAT tape drives?  There
} are about 4 available that I know of:
}
} 	1)  Hewlett-Packard	2)  WangDAT
} 	3)  Mountain		4)  Archive
}

You missed on Archival Storage Devices.

} We did have a WangDAT tooked up to a propietiary IBC 486 XLB, but we suspect
} that their driver is flacky.  Which of these manufacturers delivers a ROCK
} solid device driver for a standard Intel-box.  Even if you are running on a
} non-Intel box I would be interested in hearing from you.
}

ASD's DAT comes in many flavours including PC, Mac and SCSI.  So far my DAT
has consistently backed up 25 machines every work night.  I'm awaiting
delivery of the high capacity upgrade kit, yes you can install it yourself
without voding warranty, that'll give me upto 3.2 Gbytes storage.  Access times
on the little beast are approximately 5-30 seconds depending upon where on
the tape the required file is located.

For a more detailed description of the product, call or FAX:
	Mr. John Goodchild
	Archival Storage Devices Inc.
	728 Gordon Baker Road
	North York, ON  M2H 3B4
	Canada.
	Voice:	1 416 496 3848
	FAX:	1 416 496 3853

Remember the free trade agreement gives you statesiders a big break.

ger
--
G. Roderick Singleton, System and Network Manager, JTS Computers
{yunexus | uunet | geac | torsqnt}!gerry at jtsv16.jts.com