multiport serial board info needed

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 05:32:52 AEST 1990

In article <34824 at cup.portal.com> spyen at cup.portal.com (Shyh Pei Yen) writes:
>I am going to set up a 386 PC based UNIX with dumb terminals connected. I
>really appreciate any information on the multiport board. My questions are
>1. How many different types of board are available in the market right now?
>2. Which company is in the leading position right now?
>3. How hard it is to set these up?
>4. Pricing?
>5. Do you encounter any problem with your current board?
>6. Whatever question you have in mind that I haven't thought about.   :-)
>Shyh-Pei Yen
>USENET:  spyen at cup.portal.com

There seems to a lot of different opinions on this
particular subject.  There have been quite a few messages
regarding this subject in several newsgroups and sco mailing list.

There seems to be a lot of personal preferences on this subject.
We have tested boards from StarGate, CompuTone, DigiBoard, Wyse,
and Stallion.

OUR personal preferences are the CompuTone boards, although the
Stallion (originally Anvil) are pretty nice.

The Wyse boards are VERY sensitive to surges and will go out during
the slightest storm (WY995 board).
StarGate boards did not seem to give much performance.
The DigiBoards did basically what we had intended but we ran into
problems with Tech Support.
The Stallion boards are technically competent from what we have seen,but
they seem to be very pricey.

The CompuTone boards are still performing very well.
We have used them under Xenix and also PC-MOS/386 and have performed
reliably and faithfully for several years now.
Relatively easy to setup, and support has been very good from CompuTone.

I do caution that you will probably hear all different sides on this
subject.  So be prepared.  People seem to get very personnaly involved
with their board choice.