TCP/IP connection between Xenix and Macintosh

cliff bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Tue Oct 23 07:45:03 AEST 1990

In article <108 at embassy.nsi.com> lance at embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>with tcp/ip 1.0.1 and my Macintosh running NCSA Telnet.  When it works,
>it works great.  It even gives me dial-in access to my files on te Mac
>via ftp.  However, my ability to open a session from th Mac to the Xenix
>box is intermittent.  There is always a connection, but sometimes it
>holds for a login and sometimes it doesn't.  If it didn't connect at
>all, then I would have some ideas of wht to look for, but when it works
>10% to 20% of the time I am at a loss.
>
>Has anyone had similar problems of intermittent connections for telnet
>sessions?   Since I do get some of the connections, I know that the files
>(/etc/hosts and other related files) are all there and correct, so I am
>stumped.  Suggestions will be appreciated as I am just learning to set
>up and administer tcp/ip and telnet.
>
>Thanks,
>Lance Antrim
>lance at nsi.com

I have had similar problems with the MIT/CMU PCIP telnet protocols trying to
log on to Xenix.  It would occasionally work but when we went from 1.0.1d(c?)
to 1.0.1h it seemed to get worse in that now it won't work at all.  FTP software
(the company) telnet and rlogin do work fine and since they are from the same
obviosly, FTP made theirs more robust but I don't know what they did.  It's been
a low priority problem around here but if anyone does know why, I'd be delighted
to hear about it.  (The PCIP stuff works just fine logging into Ultrix on a VAX
and Wollongong TCP/IP for VMS.)

Cliff