Using /bin/csh for root login on SCO Unix causes improper boot--why?

Mark A. Emanuele emanuele at overlf.UUCP
Tue Oct 16 14:21:19 AEST 1990

In article <44 at bmhalh.UUCP>, bruce at bmhalh.UUCP (Bruce M. Himebaugh) writes:
> Everything works fine, until you
> reboot the system.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

take a look at /etc/init.d/* and /etc/rc*

these need the Bourne shell to operate properly. I think the problem is that
SCO in their "WISDOM" looks at /etc/passwd for the root shell and executes
that as the shell for startup. (When I added a "tset -r" in the /etc/profile
every time I reboot, I get a TERM=(ansi) prompt at the bottom of the screen.)

I would think that *nix would be smart enough to just default to /bin/sh
to execute these scripts.
Leave it up to SCO to screw it all up.

#include std_disclaimer.h

--