Autoboot on Xenix

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Thu Apr 11 16:17:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr09.005151.2635 at cmllab.rgb.sub.org>
  macleod at cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:

> | PS I would also like to know the options to mknod for createing /dev/scratch
>
> Hm... I think that's not necessary to create /dev/scratch. As far as I
> remember the system uses /dev/swap (or something else :>) when auto-booting.
> (BTW I'm running SCO Unix and I think the major/minor device numbers are
>  _not_ the same for SCO Xenix... sorry)

No, the system does need /dev/scratch if your root filesystem is
larger than a certain size.  (I don't know what the size is, but
a 25 MB filesystem doesn't need it and a 40 MB filesystem does.)
If you root system doesn't need it you can get by without one quite
easily; any filesystems other than root can use a file on the root
partition for scratch instead.  Another option is to keep a floppy
in your B drive and use /fd1 as your scratch device.

cjs
--
curt at cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."
curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca |    --Berkeley Mail Reference Manual (Kurt Schoens)